About $250m Malawian Kwacha equivalent was looted via Cashgate. What would this money do if it was not looted and properly utilized?
1) Malawi could have trained 40,000 medical doctors. Or
2) Malawi could have constructed 314 health centres. Or
3) Malawi could have provided all health services in Nsanje district for 80 years! Or
4) Malawi could have educated 3,311,258 children at primary schools. Or
5) Malawi could have constructed 6,000 classrooms. Or
6) Malawi could have constructed 20 new secondary schools. Or
7) Malawi could have constructed 1176 teachers houses.
If we add the MK92bn cashgated during the DPP era,
8) Malawi could have constructed 33,000 classrooms!
9) Malawi could have constructed 110 new secondary schools.
Source: Dr Henry Chingaipe’s paper, “The Impact of the Cashgate Scandal on the National Budget: A Focus on Health and Education Sector”, presented at the International Human Rights Day, 10th December 2014.
My Comment: I am now very angry! Having also watched a documentary on the state of our rural health services and public education, I am extra mad that we have people pretending to lead this nation when all they are doing is looting. We have resources in this country which if put to good use, we can make life better for the less privileged in this country.