In an attempt to make up for the mistakes the government is making and in an effort to apply tit for tat, the DPP government has started floating information that portrays the MCP as a party of bad governance.
The Mutharika misled government is reported to be using the Information Minister to hoodwink many Malawians in believing that Parliament can independently buy a bottle of water without its approval let alone cars the Minister is talking about.
Commentators have argued that Malawi parliament is not independent. All money and all procurement decisions are given by them, as Penjani Chunga Snr observes:
1. The vehicles were bought last year as soon as the Speaker, Leader of Opposition and the two Deputy Speakers assumed those offices.
2. The vehicles are similar to all other government vehicles.
3. Speaker’s category is used by President (4), VP(2), Chief Secretary(1) and MRA Commissioner General(1). Some other CEOs in government may have them too. The one for Deputy Speakers and Leader of Opposition is used by all PSs, Directors, all Judges, all parastatal heads, etc.
4. Parliament followed all procedures in acquiring the said fleet from government and no short cuts were done.
5. Such decisions at Parliament are not made by Speaker, Leader of Opposition or Deputy Speakers but the Parliamentary Service commission(PSC).
6. Delivery by the vender was delayed leading to the last one that was delivered this January 2015.
7. There were no old cars. All Speakers and Leader of Opposition before us bought their vehicles, including Jappie Mhango’s boss, Hon Jones Chingola , which Jappie as personal assistant to him used when at Parliament.
Afriem understands that all above information is available and can be obtained by anyone who want truth from Parliament.
Prior to delivery, all the said officials were using hired cars which would have meant government spending above 720 million in hiring charges in five years hence government and PSCs decision to just buy the cars.
Parliament has a responsibility to give all and any piece of information to anyone. We will ensure the truth is told as we continue to call the executive to account!