A 33-year-old Amos Phombeya has died due to electric shock in Zingwangwa Township in Blantyre. he died Monday night as he tried to fix an electric fault at around 8pm in a residence of one of his tenants who called him to check on an electricity fault.
“Things just happened as if I was dreaming because my landlord only touched the main switch and suddenly very strong shock pushed him down and he never woke up,” Atupele Gogoda a tenant of the house, said.
Blantyre Police Assistant Public Relations Officer Andrew Mayawo said when they heard about the issue they rushed to the scene and took the victim to Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital, where he was certified dead due to electric shock.
Mayawo said incidents like this were becoming common because people try to fix electrical problems on their own without informing Escom officials or experts.
The deceased came from Salama Village, Traditional Authority (T/A) Phombeya in Balaka district.