The Malawi Electoral Commission has announced that it is ready to conduct by elections in Lilongwe south east constituency, but it is waiting for the attorney general to give a nod.
Speaking in an interview, Mec spokesperson, Richard Mveliwa said that the attorney general is not forthcoming with legal advise.
“We are waiting for his advise which up until now he has not given us, nevertheless we are ever ready to conduct the by election.
“We will be conducting some by elections soon and we can easily add the Lilongwe south east to the budget, if we can get a go ahead from the attorney general,” he said.
Reacting to the development the attorney general, Kalekeni Kaphale said that he already gave the advise.
“I told Mec what they should do concerning the matter last week Thursday.
“I cannot tell you what i told them because your not Mec so may be find out from them ,” he said.
A few weeks back the supreme court ordered a re run in Lilongwe south east constituency between DPP’s Bentley Namasasu and MCP’s Ulemu Nsungama.